Monday, April 21, 2008

revelation : modesty + archival prints

I haven't been very diligent with my postings. Perhaps, it is because I've been somewhat perplexed on what to do regarding selling my paintings. And with that I mean, to sell or not to sell them. To make make prints or not to make prints. I guess first of all, I have been wondering if people will really want to buy them. Sometimes I can be a little too modest, I guess. I've been assured by a handful of folks, that would be definitely interested, should I make them available to the public. Anyway, if I just sell the originals, that's it...it's a one shot deal, but if I make prints, it's a great idea for everyone.

So, I did a little research and while giclee (pronounced zee-clay) prints are the way to go if you want to make archival prints on fine art paper of your artwork, they are not exactly cost-effective for the artist. In the long run, I would have to have my paintings shipped out. Then a high-quality scan would be made. I would have to order a certain amount of prints, of which I would have no idea if I would even sell all of them, find a place to store them, etc... This process can be very expensive. However prints would make my paintings more affordable to someone who didn't want to spend a lot on an original.

I got a little discouraged when I researched the giclee process, so I did what I'm really good at, and that's research more information online. I stumbled across an amazing Epson printer that I can use at home, that will print archival prints on high-quality, fine art paper, as well print amazing photo prints. Now we're talkin'! I've found a printer, that is more cost-effective, archival quality and I don't need to worry about storing additional prints. I will have the flexibility to print as I go. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. I ordered the printer this weekend, and I can't even tell you how excited I am about this new beginning for me as an artist.

The only downside of the new printer, is the re-evaluation of my studio. Space is limited and the printer is quite large. It's funny how one new thing can turn your world upside-down and inside out. I can deal though...I'm too excited. This I "will" be able to figure out!

Coming "very" soon, I will be posting my work to an amazing site for artists called Etsy.com. There people who enjoy my work, will be able to once again buy my original works, prints and whatever other little creations I conjure up.

P.S. I'm working on a new painting too! Happy Spring!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails