Monday, November 30, 2009

a simple holiday recipe for you and yours : cranberry - orange sauce


Lots of times I take recipes, make them once, and then I tinker around with them to make them even better or more to my family's liking. This time I worked on the traditional cranberry sauce recipe. I always make my own cranberry sauce, because the thought of that jellied glop, plopping out from the can, makes my stomach queezy. There's no way I will ever eat canned cranberry sauce ever again and once you try this recipe, I'm pretty sure you'll never eat it again either. Providing you like cranberries, of course.

Cranberry-Orange Sauce
Serves 6

1 -12 ounce bag of fresh or frozen cranberries (1/2 c. reserved) (if frozen, thaw before using)
2 T. orange juice
1 T. water
1 T. fresh orange zest
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 can mandarin oranges in light syrup (drained)
1 c. sugar

Combine the cranberries (reserving a 1/2 c.), sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, orange juice and water in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat, stirring often. Once the sugar melts, about 5-6 minutes, turn the heat up to medium, again stirring often, cook cranberries until the majority of them have popped, about 11-14 minutes. Once cooked, remove from heat, add reserved cranberries. When cooled, stir in mandarin oranges, and chill.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails