Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Reuben Soup

If it's going to keep acting like winter outside, you might as well keep your belly warm with some delicious soup. My husband likes reuben sandwiches. He was gone away for business last week and he was hoping for something delicious for dinner when he got back that evening. So, I thought about it for awhile and I had this reuben soup recipe that I had been meaning to try for quite awhile, because there's a local bar + grill near our house that made reuben soup (that he loved) and they no longer make it. However, once I made the soup and tasted it according to the directions, it was rather dull and lacked that special zip that you get when you eat the sandwich. So... I started tinkering with ingredients and writing them down as I added them to the pot. After about 15 minutes with a little dash of this and a little dash of that, I tasted it and was quite pleased with the results. I took some down to my neighbors and she loved it too! She liked it so well she asked for the recipe and made it last night for her family for dinner.




Reuben Soup

1/2 c. diced onion
1/2 c. diced celery
1/4 c. butter, cubed
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 c. beef broth
2 c. half -n- half cream
1 c. 2% milk
1/4 lb. sliced deli corned beef, coarsely chopped
1-14 0z. can sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
2 T. ketchup
2 T. tomato paste
1 t. sugar
1 c. (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
1/8 t. caraway seeds (optional)
1/4 t. salt, plus more to taste
1/4 t. pepper, plus more to taste

In a large pot, saute' the onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minute or until thickened.

Reduce heat to med-low. Stir in the cream and milk. Whisk in ketchup, tomato paste, sugar and caraway seeds. Add corned beef, sauerkraut, salt + pepper; heat through (do not boil). Whisk in cheese until melted.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails