Tuesday, December 04, 2012

DUCF 2012



This was my third year to be accepted for the Detroit Urban Craft Fair. My heart has been overwhelmed by the whole experience from being accepted to the final hours of the show.

First and foremost, the show is extremely well organized. We even get a tasty amazing lunch provided for us both days! There's a DJ playing music all day to keep the shopping vibe going all day and to help keep the vendors perky. Well, I can't speak for anyone else but the Motown music kept me perky! The gals from Handmade Detroit, do an AMAZING job of promoting the show! This was its 7th year... And I remember going to the 2nd show, but just as a patron thinking WOW! I need to be a part of this! So blown away by all of the cool stuff everyone was making. The DUCF has helped to make my artist dreams come true! It's given me the confidence to approach local shops to sell my work and that has been great as well. I love meeting new artists, and seeing their work, I find the show so overwhelmingly inspiring. I treated myself to a pair of earrings from one of my favorite jewelry designers, Kristen Perkins Jewelry.

I had two amazing booth helpers this year. Saturday I had my friend Karen. Karen and I have been friends since our early elementary school days. She has come to my shows to support before, but this time she was behind the scenes with me. On Sunday, my Aunt JoAnn came out to help. She's my veteran helper, always there to support and help out. I so appreciate the fact that they each gave up a day on their weekend to help me out.

I also want to thank all of my friends and family that came out to the fair this year. As an artist it helps so much to receive plenty of support! It's unlike any other job, because you are creating artwork that is an extension of who you are, what you like and how you feel and then putting it out there for everyone to see and hopefully would like to purchase. It's exhilarating when someone you don't know picks up your piece and says hey, I want to buy this! It validates everything you have been working on and makes your heart sing!

Even though the fair is over, you can still check out my Etsy shop to finish up your holiday shopping!

---

As many folks know, my Dad has been very sick for 3 1/2 years now. He had another surgery in October at U of M and just yesterday he was moved to a rehab hospital. I don't think he'll be home for Christmas, but at least he's moving in the right direction. I was really hoping for my family to be together Christmas... I'm still hoping. Everyone's continued prayers and kind thoughts are what keeps my family going. On behalf of my Mom, my husband and myself we want to wish you all a wonderful holiday season, and here's hoping for an amazing 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails