Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Motown Watercolor Illustration Poster

Motown was created by Berry Gordy, Jr. in 1959, Detroit, Michigan. I grew up listening to all of the Motown great performers because my Dad loved it. We had an old reel-to-reel system set up in the living room on a low coffee table. We had "a lot" of fun parties when I was younger. They would fire up the fondue pot, serve chips -n- dips in metal stacking bowls from the 60's and turned up the volume. The room swelled, glasses clinked and the sounds of Motown became a deep part of my soul. A wonderful memory that I'll always have of my Dad who has now passed on. It makes me a little sad sometimes, but mostly I'm grateful and happy to have this great music as a memory. I created this poster of his favorites and mine in his honor. The original was created in watercolor and a bit of gouache.


Performers illustrated in the poster from top left to right:
Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross
Bottom left to right:
Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin "The Queen of Soul"


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails