Saturday, November 01, 2008

observation : the great pumpkins







One of my favorite things about Halloween is pumpkin carving. I always start with ideas in my sketchbook and this year I decided on two designs, one scary & one happy. After a sketch is done, I usually just enlarge it on a copy machine but it didn't work out that way because I couldn't get the copy machines to work right. So this time I scanned it and enlarged it on my computer in Photoshop & InDesign and then printed out my design to fit on 8 1/2 x 11" paper. My two pumpkins for carving were completely difference shapes, so one design was printed on the paper vertical while my other design was printed horizontal. Once the design was printed, I taped it to my already cleaned out pumpkin and then I make my tiny holes to trace a line around each shape of the design. Once that's finished, I remove the taped design and start sawing. The most involved part of the process is the initial tracing, and then being careful when sawing on the intricate details so parts don't break off -- which sometimes can be tricky. I use a set by Pumpkin Masters because the tools work amazing. I've had my set for at least 6-8 years now, and at the time it was $3.99. My husband commented that it was probably the best $3.99 we've ever spent! I'll have to agree.

The weather here on Halloween was amazing -- practically balmy. In fact, it couldn't have been more perfect. We invited some family and friends over for what's become a tradition in our driveway with our fire pit, cocktails, mulled cider and our favorite Dearborn Italian Bakery pizza, while we pass out candy to the little trick-or-treaters! All in all it's was a pretty fun evening -- and what's most important... the kids love it! I hope everyone had a great Halloween!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails