Sunday, November 27, 2011

these are a few of my.... favorite things


Every year since as far back as I can remember I have made a Christmas list. Probably like most kids at first it was just circling things in the Toys R Us catalog, or even just mentioning it to my parents every time my favorite toy crossed the TV screen. I can remember one Christmas quite vividly, somewhere in the late 70's. I wanted a Barbie pool. The one with the pump-action working shower. C'mon... seriously, that was cool! I'm sure my parents got tired of me droning on about that one. Or the Christmas I believe that I was in third grade when a classmate of mine brought in her Speak & Spell and her Merlin for Show & Tell that day. You betcha those were on my list that year!

Well, it's to the point now where my family requires the list and is somewhat amused by my list as well. I think they feel it's easier to buy something they know that I will love and will be extremely happy about. It's sort of become a tradition and a lot more of our family members make lists too. I think these lists are so helpful because I love giving gifts and I love even more when I get something for someone that they are really excited about getting, instead of floundering around the malls wondering what would make someone happy on Christmas Day. Having said that, there are a few occasions when I feel that it's fun picking up on little hints, or the likes of people "mainly my husband" and surprising him with something he has briefly spoken of but would have never imagined that he would receive it for Christmas. But, when you have a lot of gifts to buy at Christmas... lists are nice and they make the holiday less hectic and stressful. Don't we all need a little less holiday stress?

I usually try to make my list decorative in some way. Some years it has been very elaborate with photos + design, or some sort of cut + paste crafty-type project, but this year it was a straight forward list, typed up quickly with some red + green and a fun font. Actually, now that I think about it the past few years have been well, quite hectic and the list thing isn't as fun or on the top of my priority list as it was in the past. This Christmas will hopefully be more fun than the past two since my Dad is finally well enough to enjoy the holidays.

For a some visual amusement, I thought I'd whip up a quick, visual wish list of some of the things that I love this year. I hope all of your Christmas wishes come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails